Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Romeo and Juliet Code by Phoebe Stone

Title: The Romeo and Juliet Code
Author:Phoebe Stone
Reviewer: Stephanie
Genre: Historical Fiction
Rating: Love
Alerts/Warnings:None
Premise: During World War II, eleven-year-old Felicity is sent from London to Bottlebay, Maine, to live with her grandmother, aunt, uncle, and a reclusive boy who helps her decode mysterious letters that contain the truth about her missing parents.

Opinions: Felicity Bathburn Budwig moves in with her father's estranged family at the beginning of WWII so that she is away from the dangers of living in Europe while there are lots of bombings. The Bathburns are quite a quirky, but loving bunch. I felt very connected to Felicity throughout the book. As she grows to love and care for her aunt, uncle and The Gram so did I as a reader. I could feel the growth of Felicity as a character and I loved how she changed in subtle ways throughout the story. I thought it was a brilliant touch by Phoebe Stone (author) to keep the reader engaged in such a way that I felt I was growing with Felicity. It was beautifully done, and I loved reading it.

No comments: