Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart





Title: The Mysterious Benedict Society (Book 1 of the Mysterious Benedict Society Series)
Author: Trenton Lee Stewart
Reviewer: Karen
Genre: MidGrade Fiction
Rating: Fabulous
Alerts/Warnings: None that I can recall
Premise: "After passing a series of mind-bending tests, four children are selected for a secret mission that requires them to go undercover at the Learning Institute for the Very Enlightened, where the only rule is that there are no rules." (King County Library System)
Opinions: I love Reynie. What kid doesn't go through feeling like they are out of place, or don't fit in. I love that he works one-on-one with a tutor to excel in his brilliance. I love that he takes a chance and takes the very odd tests to get into the society. I love the group of kids that are part of the society (I mean their names alone are masterpieces - Sticky Washington, Constance Contraire, and Kate Wetherall). Each one unique, each one with his/her own realm of expertise. I love that they work together to solve the mystery of the nefarious plans going on at the Learning Institute for the Very Enlightened. This is a great tale of self-esteem, cooperation, friendship and so much more. Please take time to read this one.

No comments: