Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley




Title: The Blue Sword
Author: Robin McKinley
Reviewer: Karen
Genre: Junior Fantasy
Rating: Fabulous
Alerts/Warnings: Violence associated with battle
Premise: "Harry, bored with her sheltered life in the remote orange-growing colony of Daria, discovers magic in herself when she is kidnapped by a native king with mysterious powers." (King County Library System)
Opinions: First off all I love that the female lead's name goes by the name "Harry". I just do. I'm funny that way. I also love Corlath, the king of the hill people. Even though he initially kidnaps Harry I find that he's easy to get to know and really like. McKinley does a fantastic job in her creation of the land of Damar. I feel like a part of it as I read this story. I love Harry's journey to find her own inner strength and to become the heroine she was destined to be. I love the trials she faces and the lessons she learns. Robin McKinley is a brilliant fantasy author. She has re-written several of the classic fairytales in her own unique style, but The Blue Sword has to be my all time favorite's of hers. Please take time to read this book.

No comments: