Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Candymakers by Wendy Mass

Title: The Candymakers
Author: Wendy Mass
Reviewer: Stephanie
Genre: YA Fiction
Rating: LOVE
Alerts/Warnings: None
Premise: Four children have been chosen to compete in a national competition to find the tastiest confection in the country. Who will invent a candy more delicious than the Oozing Crunchorama or the Neon Lightning Chew?
Logan, the Candymaker's son, who can detect the color of chocolate by touch alone?

Miles, the boy who is allergic to merry-go-rounds and the color pink?

Daisy, the cheerful girl who can lift a fifty-pound lump of taffy like it's a feather?

Or Philip, the suit-and-tie wearing boy who's always scribbling in a secret notebook?

This sweet, charming, and cleverly crafted story, told from each contestant's perspective, is filled with mystery, friendship, and juicy revelations. (goodreads.com)

Opinions: Okay, here it is. This is the second of my two favorite books on perspective. Aren't you SO excited to know what it is? I know. I know. I'm that kind and good to let you in on this. :)
The Candymakers follows four contestants who are trying to make the best new candy for a contest. There are sections in the book following each of the contestants and you get to see their side of the situation. You learn why Logan freezes up and what is in Miles' backpack. You get to see why Philip is so standoffish and why Daisy has a best friend named Magpie.
This book is fun and entertaining. Not only do I like the multiple perspectives, but I like the story. I love me my Wendy Mass. She has a quirky style and a good understanding of characters and motivations.
PS I didn't feel this way, but my husband thought it was a little slow at the beginning. I have to disagree, but I wanted to give a heads up. If you think it's slow, keep reading. It really is a great story.

No comments: