Friday, May 20, 2011

Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink

Title: Caddie Woodlawn
Author: Carol Ryrie Brink
Reviewer: Stephanie
Genre: YA Historical Fiction
Rating: Love
Alerts/Warnings: None
Premise: At age 11, Caddie Woodlawn is the despair of her mother and the pride of her father: a clock-fixing tomboy running wild in the woods of Wisconsin. In 1864, this is a bit much for her Boston-bred mother to bear, but Caddie and her brothers are happy with the status quo.
(goodreads.com)

Opinions: This is the first novel I was ever given and ever read all on my own. I know, crazy that I remember that. But this book was an important step as a reader. This was the first book that was mine. It wasn't the libraries, it wasn't my sisters. It was mine. It was personal to me. So does this jade my review? Maybe. But I've read it many times since and I can read it for just reading it and I still think it is a great book.
The book follows Caddie through one year in her life as she grows from a tomboy into a strong young woman. It gives a great example of being a strong woman as well as a glimpse of life in the frontier. It is great storytelling. The writing isn't amazing, but the story is compelling and fun.

No comments: