Sunday, May 15, 2011

Boy by Roald Dahl

Title: Boy
Author: Roald Dahl
Reviewer: Stephanie
Genre: YA Autobiography
Rating: Love
Alerts/Warnings: Some moments of bullying and corporal dicipline. There is also a moment that deals with a medical situation that had me cringe (but it wasn't graphic).
Premise: Where did Roald Dahl get all of his wonderful ideas for stories? From his own life, of course! As full of excitement and the unexpected as his world-famous, bestselling books, Roald Dahl's tales of his own childhood are completely fascinating and fiendishly funny.(goodreads.com)

Opinions: I have always thought that Roald Dahl was a quirky author. His books were unique and had a twist to them that I just couldn't imagine where they came from. After reading "Boy" I get it now. Granted, he wrote it. Could it be exaggerated? Possibly. But I am inclined to believe it is mostly accurate. He is fairly straight forward about his memories. The ones from his childhood are often unpleasant. However, I think those are just the ones that have truly stuck in his head. Not only is it fascinating to see how he grew up, but you also get an interesting look into boarding schools and how they ran. I have to say my favorite part was the goat dung. Still to this day it makes me gag and laugh all at the same time. Just sayin".

No comments: