Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Pollyanna by Eleanor H. Porter

Title: Pollyanna
Author: Eleanor H. Porter
Reviewer: Stephanie
Genre: YA Fiction
Rating: Adore
Alerts/Warnings: None
Premise: When orphaned 11-year-old Pollyanna comes to live with austere and wealthy Aunt Polly, her philosophy of gladness brings happiness to her aunt and other members of the community, somewhat to their surprise. (goodreads.com)

Opinions: Have you seen the movie 'Pollyanna' with Hailey Mills? It was made in the 1950's? Okay, so I have. It was one of my favorites growing up. Several years ago, I read the book. I really liked it. I thought it was fun. Then when I was in China I read it again. (Yes, another China book.) I truly believe that there are times in our lives when books really hit a chord and for me Pollyanna hit me like a freight load of bricks. How wonderfully refreshing to read a book about a girl who does nothing but look for the good in everything. By the end of this book I found myself doing the same and I have to admit, if for no other reason than to get a good dose of Pollyanna's optimistic attitude, than it is worth it to read this book. The plot is a little weak, but the strength of character more than makes up for it.

No comments: