Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Avalon High by Meg Cabot

Title: Avalon High
Author: Meg Cabot
Reviewer: Stephanie
Genre: Teen Fantasy
Rating: Adore
Alerts/Warnings: Some mild language and a fantasy fight scene.
Premise: To newcomer Ellie, Avalon High seems like a typical American high school, complete with jocks, nerds, cheerleaders, and even the obligatory senior class president, quarterback, and all-around good guy. But it doesn't take Ellie long to suspect that something weird is going on beneath the glossy surface of this tranquil hall of learning. As she pieces together the meaning of this unfolding drama, she begins to recognize some haunting Arthurian echoes, causing her to worry that she has become just a pawn in mythic history. (goodreads.com)

Opinions: I spent a semester in college where we discussed Arthurian legend. I read Malory's "Le Morte de Arthur" in Middle English. I thought there was no way I would ever watch or read anything Arthurian again. Much less enjoy it.

That being said, I enjoyed this book. It takes the Arthur tale and puts it in modern day context with a nice twist. I like Meg Cabot's writing. I like her characterization. I like how you can read it and figure out who the different people are in the school and in the Arthur legend.

Now, in all honesty, I watched the movie first in China. Which I enjoyed. BUT the book is VERY different from the movie. I wish I had reversed it.

Meg Cabot is a very talented writer. She is amazing at getting into the souls of her characters and giving them situations that are true to how they behave and act. I thoroughly enjoyed this book.

1 comment:

Fabulous Reads said...

Too funny. I was just telling myself last night that it was time to re-read this story so that I could post a review and it seems you beat me to it. Go Stephanie.

- Karen