Sunday, May 15, 2011

Going Solo by Roald Dahl

Title: Going Solo
Author: Roald Dahl
Reviewer: Stephanie
Genre: Adult Autobiography
Rating: Love
Alerts/Warnings: A moment of non-graphic nudity, some war scenes and some mild language
Premise: The fascinating story of Roald Dahl's life continues in "Going Solo", a marvelous evocation of the author's wartime exploits. As a pilot in WWII, Dahl had some wonderfully exciting--and frighteningly near-death--experiences including encounters with the enemy, battles with deadly snakes, and incredible dogfights. (goodreads.com)
Opinions: Okay, I have to admit, I like this one more than "Boy". There is something about this one that really hits home with me. Maybe its the fact that it is so completely foreign to me that I just really enjoy it. (Not that I know what it's like to go to boarding school in England, but whatevs.) This book picks up where "Boy" leaves off. Dahl has a job working for Shell oil in Africa. He tells about his experiences getting there and being there until WWII breaks out. Then he joins the British Air Force and has some improbable and amazing experiences happen to him. It is just amazing to read about what he survived and also what he witnessed. By the time I read "Boy" and "Going Solo" I felt I had a good understanding of why he wrote books the way he did and often where the ideas came from.
I admit, that biography and autobiography are not my favorite of genres. But I really like these books. I feel that even though Dahl is chronicling his life he is also still storytelling. Very enjoyable to read and I highly recommend them.

No comments: