Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Clara Lee and the Apple Pie Dream

Title: Clara Lee and the Apple Pie Dream
Author: Jenny Han
Reviewer: Stephanie
Genre: YA Fiction
Rating: Like
Alerts/Warnings: None
Premise: Clara Lee likes her best friends, her grandpa, kimchi, candy necklaces (her signature look!), and the idea of winning the Little Miss Apple Pie contest.

Clara Lee doesn't like her mom's fish soup, bad dreams (but Grandpa says they mean good luck!), speaking in public, or when her little sister is being annoying.

One day, after a bad dream, Clara Lee is thrilled to have a whole day of luck (Like!). But then, bad luck starts to follow (Dislike!). When will Clara Lee's luck change again? Will it change in time for the Little Miss Apple Pie contest?

Opinions: Okay, so I liked this book. It was simple, sweet, and short(149 pages). 8 year old, Clara Lee deals with issues of fitting in and sisters and boys and friends. One of the appeals to me was the issue of race and what makes a true American. I liked that it dealt with the issue in a way that anyone of any age could understand. It was a little predictable, but I liked it. I think that if there had been a "suprise" ending I wouldn't have liked it as much. It was a sweet book and I enjoyed the hour that it took me to read it.

No comments: