Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Title: The Tale of Despereaux
Author: Kate DiCamillo
Reviewer: Stephanie
Genre: YA Fiction (Fantasy?)
Rating: Worship
Alerts/Warnings: Some mild disturbing images in a dungeon (they were a little disgusting, but nothing graphic).
Premise: The adventures of Desperaux Tilling, a small mouse of unusual talents, the princess that he loves, the servant girl who longs to be a princess, and a devious rat determined to bring them all to ruin. (goodreads.com)

Opinions: This book came out when I was working for a large bookstore. I read it that summer and quickly fell in love with it. Not only that, but it was my pick for the Newbery that year (which it won). Reader, it was just that good. There was no doubt in my mind that it deserved to win. Now, I made my husband read this book and he was skeptical. But he really liked it. You follow Despereaux, a princess, a rat and a serving girl in a journey to discover being loved and caring for others. It was beautifully written. I love that it is written to you. You are an active part of this book, Reader. You are part of this story. For me, I connected more to it, because I felt involved in it. It is a delightful adventure and well worth the time to read it.

No comments: