Monday, May 23, 2011

Airs Above the Ground by Mary Stewart





Title: Airs Above the Ground
Author: Mary Stewart
Reviewer: Karen
Genre: Adult Romance/Mystery
Rating: Fabulous
Alerts/Warnings: Some swearing, some violence
Premise: "Vanessa March never thought to look for her missing husband in Vienna--until she saw him in a newsreel shot there at the scene of a deadly fire. But her hunt for answers only leads to more sinister questions in a mysterious world of beautiful horses." (King County Library System)
Opinions: I LOVE this book. I am a huge fan of Mary Stewart and have been reading her books since I was ten. They are full of mystery and suspense with just the perfect touch of romance. There is mystery around a double murder, drug smuggling, an old horse with a questionable past, a missing husband, and is set in the Swiss Alps. What an awesome combination. I love that the main character is a female veterinarian who is searching for truth about her absentee husband. I love that her desire for truth leads her into the depths of a massive mystery. I love that she is accompanied by a seventeen year old son of a friend whose seeking his own brand of freedom. This unlikely pair make a unique detective duo that have a quirky bond and sense of humor. I even love the way Mary Stewart describes the scenery - it was so vivid that I long to be there in reality even now. Even though this book was written in the 60s it is still a fabulous read for our day.

No comments: