Saturday, May 7, 2011

A Mango Shaped Space by Wendy Mass

Title: A Mango-Shaped Space
Author: Wendy Mass
Reviewer: Stephanie
Genre: YA Fiction
Rating: Adore
Alerts/Warnings: None
Premise: Mia Winchell seems to be a typical teenager, but shes keeping a huge secret from everyone who knows her: sounds, numbers, and words appear in color for her. Mia has synesthesia, the mingling of perceptions whereby a person can see sounds, smell colors, or taste shapes. When trouble in school forces Mia to reveal her condition, her friends and family can't relate to her, and she must look to herself to develop an understanding and appreciation for her gift. (goodreads.com)
Opinions: I think one of the reasons this book was so appealling to me was that I have a mild form of synesthesia. I do not have anywhere near as intense of an experience as Mia does, but I do experience it with colors and numbers. But I never realized it had a name. For me this book was not only a interesting story of a girl just trying to figure out what was going on and helping her family to accept it, but it was also a journery for me to realize that I wasn't slightly crazy. (Okay, I know I'm a little crazy, but about this specifically.) Anyways, I liked Mia for the most part. I did think she was a little self involved. But I also understand that was important for her character's development. Overall I liked this book and thought it was very interesting to read.

No comments: