Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by JK Rowling







Title: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Book 2 of the Harry Potter series)
Author: JK Rowling
Reviewer: Karen
Genre: Mid-Grade Fantasy
Rating: Adore
Alerts/Warnings: Some violence and brief but intense scenes
Premise: "When the Chamber of Secrets is opened again at the Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry, second-year student Harry Potter finds himself in danger from a dark power that has once more been released on the school." (King County Library System)
Opinions: Just like its predecessor I read this book in under a day. I could not put it down. The imagery is vivid, the characters captivating. It far surpasses what you see in the movie (and I loved the movie). The reason I gave this a rating of ADORE instead of FABULOUS is that I have an active imagination and I don't like spiders and snakes. So certain scenes involving those creatures still creep me out severely, but that's just me. Just be aware that if your younger readers wish to read this book they may or may not have the same reaction as I did. In this book I would have to say my favorite characters are the Weasley twins and Ginny. I know that they are supporting characters, but I felt distinctly drawn to them for personal reasons. You'll have to read the book and see if you agree or tell if there is someone else you preferred and why.


No comments: