Monday, May 16, 2011

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling




Title: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter Book #6)
Author: J.K. Rowling
Reviewer: Karen
Genre: Mid-Grade Fantasy
Rating: Fabulous
Alerts/Warnings: Mild Swearing, Moderate Violence, Death/Murder
Premise: "Harry Potter begins his sixth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in an atmosphere of uncertainty, as the magical world begins to face the fact that the evil wizard Voldemort is alive and active once again." (King County Library System)
Opinions: I must say that Harry Potter really bothers me in this book (granted he has every reason to act the way he does). It just gets a bit tiresome after a while that he's grumpy, suspicious, vindictive (again he has valid reasons). That being said, I LOVE this book. I love getting to see Harry work with Dumbledore on a one-on-one basis. I love seeing various budding relationships. I love learning so much more about Voldemort. I love seeing more of Kreacher and Dobby. I love that there are still consequences for people's choices (especially Harry). This book is impressive at bringing the overall plot to a highly engaging and conflicting head. I love seeing how things that were mentioned in previous volumes come to play a major part in this book. The ending is a bit traumatic, so again I suggest that parents read this prior to determining if their children are prepared for what happens. Anyway, on to the finale...I can't wait (yes I've read it before, but I can't wait to read it again).

No comments: