Friday, May 20, 2011

Giraffes Can't Dance by Giles Andreae and Guy Parker-Rees

Title: Giraffes Can't Dance
Author: Giles Andreae and Guy Parker-Rees
Reviewer: Stephanie
Genre: Children's Picture Book
Rating: Worship
Alerts/Warnings: None
Premise: the giraffe longs to dance, but his legs are too skinny and his neck is too long. His knees buckle whenever he tries to twirl. At the Jungle Dance, the warthogs waltz, the chimps cha-cha, and the lions tango. "Giraffes can't dance," they all jeer when it's Gerald's turn to prance. But there is one little creature who believes in Gerald. "Everything makes music," the cricket explains, "if you really want it to." So Gerald starts swaying to his own sweet tune. (goodreads.com)

Opinions: I love this book. It is such a great book. My kids love it too. My 4 year old always brings it to me and asks to read about poor Gerald. But I love this book for several reasons. 1) The story is great. I love that it teaches that it is okay to be yourself and to find the true place you fit as opposed to the place where everyone thinks you should. 2) The illustrations are amazing. These watercolors are truly suprising (at least to me) that they are watercolors. I love just looking at this book. 3) The rhythm of the book is appealing and feels like a dance to me as well.
I am so glad we have this book in our home library and it is one of the books I would recommend to add to your picture book library. (Even, if I didn't have kids, I would buy this one. Cause I love it so. But I'm a bibliophile. So.....do whatever you want. I won't know. Unless you tell me. And that would be fun. Do you own this book?)

No comments: