Monday, May 23, 2011

Magyk by Angie Sage

Title: Magyk
Author: Angie Sage
Reviewer: Stephanie
Genre: YA Fantasy
Rating: Adore
Alerts/Warnings: Some fantasy violence and darkness
Premise: The seventh son of the seventh son, aptly named Septimus Heap, is stolen the night he is born by a midwife who pronounces him dead. That same night, the baby's father, Silas Heap, comes across a bundle in the snow containing a new born girl with violet eyes. The Heaps take this helpless newborn into their home, name her Jenna, and raise her as their own. But who is this mysterious baby girl, and what really happened to their beloved son Septimus? (goodreads.com)

Opinions: This is the first book in a very interesting series. I have to admit that the first time I read this book, I was a little confused for the first 50 pages or so. But then I figured out the timeline and figured out what was going on. At that point I started to really enjoy this book. A series of random events thrust several people together to keep the Princess safe. I like that Angie Sage has made a magical world and has set definitions for magyk and explains in concisely and matter of factly.

Admittedly, this is my favorite book in the series so far. I like how she weaves several stories together and how she has made a new world where the minor characters are just as important as the main ones. It is an interesting multiple perspective book.

No comments: