Tuesday, August 10, 2010

When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

Title: When You Reach Me
Author: Rebecca Stead
Reviewer: Stephanie
Genre: YA Fantasy
Rating: Love
Alerts/Warnings: None
Premise: As her mother prepares to be a contestant on the 1980s television game show, "The $20,000 Pyramid," a twelve-year-old New York City girl tries to make sense of a series of mysterious notes received from an anonymous source that seems to defy the laws of time and space." (King County Library System)
Opinions: To be honest, I've read this book twice. The first time I read it, I was lukewarm to it. However, the second time I really enjoyed it. I know that part of the reason I didn't enjoy it the first time was because of the extensive uses of Madeline L'Engles' "A Wrinkle in Time" (which is not my favorite book). I think I had a hard time getting past it. However, the second time I really enjoyed reading it. It is a unique story of Miranda and some puzzling and mysterious notes that she can't seem to figure out. This is an interesting story that deals with time travel, racism, friendship and cause and effect. I really enjoyed this book (the second time) and hope you give it a chance (or two).

No comments: