Friday, August 13, 2010

Title: Windblowne
Author: Stephen Messer
Reviewer: Stephanie
Genre: YA Fantasy
Rating: Love
Alerts/Warnings: None
Premise: Hapless Oliver, who lives in the trees in the town of Windblowne, seeks his eccentric great-uncle Gilbert's help in creating a kite for the all-important kite festival, but when Gilbert suddenly disappears, Oliver is guided by one of Gilbert's kites in a quest through different worlds to find him.
Opinions: I have to admit that I read this book because of the cover. *hangs head in shame* I know you should never judge a book by its cover, but something about this cover appealed to me and so I checked it out from the library. Then it sat on my "to read" pile until it was almost due back at the library. I started reading it this morning and I just finished it and I have to say I was so glad that I loved the cover. "Windblowne" is the story of Oliver and a village of treehouses (I love this idea!). Most of the villagers are very good kite flyers, but not Oliver. He desperately wants to be a flier, but he doesn't have the talent for it. Seeking the help of his great-uncle Gilbert leads Oliver on this really cool adventure through parallel worlds. I couldn't put it down. It is compelling and interesting and well written. Plus the imagery is vivid and tingly. This is a great book (with a great cover, too).

No comments: