Thursday, June 10, 2010

One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia

Title: One Crazy Summer
Author: Rita Williams-Garcia
Reviewer: Stephanie
Genre: YA Fiction
Rating: Adore
Alerts/Warnings: None
Premise: In the summer of 1968, after traveling from Brooklyn to Oakland, California, to spend a month with the mother they barely know, eleven-year-old Delphine and her two younger sisters arrive to a cold welcome as they discover that their mother, a dedicated poet and printer, is resentful of the intrusion of their visit and wants them to attend a nearby Black Panther summer camp. (King County Library System)
Opinions: I admit, I was a little bit skeptical that I would enjoy this book. However, I had a hard time putting it down. Delphine, Vonetta and Fern are likeable and interesting characters. I liked that there was a unique trait for each of them that made it easy right from the beginning to keep them straight. The girls go to California to get to know their mother who had abandoned them 7 years earlier. But when they get there, their mother still doesn't want them. What follows is an interesting story of learning to love, acceptance and fighting for what you believe in. This is a great story. I learned a lot and I want to be a better person and mother after reading it.

No comments: