Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Hourglass Door by Lisa Mangum

I know, I know....Long time no see. Deadlines, injuries, and death in the family has made it hard for me to read, let alone post anything as of late. But I'm back up and reading now and boy am I excited.

Plus, I just have to take a moment to brag...Stephanie and I won 2nd Place in a writing contest last month for a the first page of a book we are working on together. Thanks for putting up with me Steph, you are a great writing partner.






Title: The Hourglass Door
Author: Lisa Mangum
Reviewer: Karen
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
Rating: FABULOUS!!!!!!!
Alerts/Warnings:
Premise: Abby's senior year of high school is going according to plan: good friends, cute boyfriend, and college applications in the mail. But when Dante Alexander, foreign-exchange student from Italy, steps into her life, he turns it upside down. Soon Abby finds herself drawn into a mystery whose roots reach into sixteenth-century Florence, and she uncovers a dangerous truth that threatens not only her future but the lives of those she loves (King County Library System).
Opinions: I had heard about this book from an author friend of mine who gave it rave reviews. Let me tell you he was right!!!! I love the imagery and voice in which the story is told. The sights, smells and sounds helped to create a vivid setting in my mind and I found myself easily lost in the story, drawn back into the realm of high school and all the ups-and-downs that that entails. Then the author threw in a healthy dose of fantasy and intrigue and viola. . . a guaranteed page turner. I love Abby, because I can relate to her in some ways, and wish to relate to her in others (though I absolutely refuse to go back to my teenager years to do so). Dante's character is fantastic and complex and I know more than one teenage girl who would "just die" to run into a boy like him. Even though this book was written for the teen/young adult crowd as an adult I still couldn't put it down. Be warned though...this is a series and book two, The Golden Spiral, only came out this year.





No comments: