Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Dangerous by Shannon Hale

8585924


Title: Dangerous
Author: Shannon Hale
Reviewer: Karen
Genre: YA ????
Rating: Fabulous
Alerts/Warnings: Spy/Super Hero battles where someone dies (but not overly descriptive)
Premise: "When aspiring astronaut Maisie Danger Brown, who was born without a right hand, and the other space camp students get the opportunity to do something amazing in space, Maisie must prove how dangerous she can be and how far she is willing to go to protect everything she has ever loved" (King County Library System). 
Opinions: This book was a shock to the system. I LOVE anything by Shannon Hale, but this one took me by surprise. It was like when I read Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson. I was so used to his other books, that the shift to Super Heroes/Villains made me do a double take. Well Dangerous is like that for me. It's a Sci-Fi, Magical Realism, Dystopian, Apocalyptic kind of weird mesh, but with Shannon Hale's signature awesomeness abounding.  Its kind of hard for me to describe.  I just know that I LOVED it, and couldn't put it down. Even my kids got annoyed with me and kept trying to get my attention. This is a book to stay up late, shaking your head saying "No way", but really you can't get enough. I loved the internal struggles between right and wrong, justification of ones actions, and finding out who you are down to the core. I love the strength of family it shows and the awesome weirdness of the story.


I'm sorry I can't be more specific, but seriously I don't want to give anything away. You'll just have to read it for yourself.

No comments: