Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Title: The Hunger Games (Hunger Games #1)
Author: Suzanne Collins
Reviewer: Karen
Genre: YA Fiction/Dystopian
Rating: Adore
Alerts/Warnings: High Violence but with a soft touch (I'll explain below)
Premise "In a future North America, where the rulers of Panem maintain control through an annual televised survival competition pitting young people from each of the twelve districts against one another, sixteen-year-old Katniss's skills are put to the test when she voluntarily takes her younger sister's place" (King County Library System)..
Opinions: I know!!! I am SO behind the times.  I just barely read The Hunger Games.  In my defense, when I first tried to place a hold on this book at the library I was #96 in line.  Now having read it I see why so many be are absolutely nuts about it.  For me...I quite enjoyed it, but I'm not obsessed by it.The reason is that it was more violence than I usually prefer.  However, I do have to give major kudos to Suzanne Collins.  Even though the story requires there to be that violence she actually does quite a tame job with it.  There is no overly extensive description of that violence.

Overall, I quite enjoyed reading this book.  It's smooth reading and the characters are well developed.  The plot is highly intriguing and engaging and the book was hard to put down.  My favorite characters by far are Rue followed by Peeta.  Again, my only issue was a personal preference of less violence.  As such, I recommend this for older teens and adults, unless our Fabulous Reads parents out there read it first to see if their children can handle it.  So if you enjoy dystopian novels than I highly recommend reading this book.  As for me, I am going to borrow book two and three from a friend so I don't have to wait to get it from the library.  Then, once I'm done then I will enjoy the movie.

No comments: