Friday, July 16, 2010

The Rising Star of Rusty Nail by Lesley M. M. Blume

Title: The Rising Star of Rusty Nail
Author: Lesley M. M. Blume
Reviewer: Stephanie
Genre: YA Fiction
Rating: Adore
Alerts/Warnings: None
Premise:In the small town of Rusty Nail, Minnesota, in the early 1950s, musically talented ten-year-old Franny wants to take advanced piano lessons from newcomer Olga Malenkov, a famous Russian musician suspected of being a communist spy by gossipy members of the community. (King County Library System)
Opinions: Okay, I admit it. I picked up this book solely based on the fact that the title tickled me. Even further, I admit that I had very low expectations for this book. But the fact is I really enjoyed it. Franny is a very talented pianst who doesn't have the money that Nancy Orilee's parents have and has to take lessons from a teacher who falls asleep in the middle of them. Then a Russian woman moves to town causing all sorts of fear about how the "commies" are going to take over Rusty Nail, Minnesota. But Franny discovers that the Russian woman is not a spy but a world famous pianst. Through her sheer determination and stubborness she convinces Olga Malenkov to teach her.

I liked that this book discussed gossip, labeling and unknown fear. It talked about accomplishing greatness and standing strong in adversity. It was well written, and well presented. I enjoyed it very much. Plus I had a very specific idea of how the book would end, and I was suprised by the ending. It was better than the ending that I had imagined would have been.

No comments: