Sunday, July 25, 2010

Our Only May Amelia by Jennifer Holm

Title: Our Only May Amelia
Author: Jennifer Holm
Reviewer: Stephanie
Genre: YA Historical Fiction
Rating: Adore
Alerts/Warnings: None
Premise: As the only girl in a Finnish American family of seven brothers, May Amelia Jackson resents being expected to act like a lady while growing up in Washington state in 1899. (King County Library System)
Opinions: This is the story of May Amelia who is the only girl in the wilderness where she lives. She has lots of brothers and as a side effect is very much a tomboy. Yet most of the people in her life tell her she should be a lady, but she doesn't think that ladies have any fun. May Amelia is a interesting character. The reason I like this book is the interactions between the characters feels very real and true. I feel that Jennifer Holm has a good understanding of human relationships and reactions to situations. I have to say that I cried and I enjoyed this book.

No comments: