Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Secrets of the Magic Ring by Karen McQuestion

To enter our contest go here.

To see my review of "Celia and the Faeries" by Karen McQuestion click here.

Title: Secrets of the Magic Ring
Author: Karen McQuestion
Reviewer: Stephanie
Genre: YA Fantasy
Rating: Love
Alerts/Warnings: None
Premise: When nine-year-old Paul explores the hole dug for his backyard swimming pool, he discovers a box containing a ring—a ring that turns out to be magical. Moments later, a mysterious boy shows up demanding the ring; luckily, Paul’s trusty dog Clem scares him away. To keep the ring safe, Paul hides it in his pillow case, where, to his horror, it’s discovered by his mother, who loans it to his Aunt Vicky. Things get even stranger when Vicky, a non-swimmer, falls into the now-finished pool and discovers that her greatest secret wish has been granted—she can swim! As the ring gets passed around and wishes are made, a wild series of talents and circumstances threaten to turn their lives upside down…forever.

Opinions: I have to admit to being very excited to read this book. I really enjoy Karen McQuestions writing style. She has a unique voice and talent for writing kids in a way that makes you believe that it's real. I love that her writing and characterization is so beautiful that I'm sucked into the characters and I truly believe that what is happening and their choices could be real. Especially in a fantastical setting, it makes you think, "Huh, maybe this could be."

Paul was one of my favorite characters in "Celia and the Faeries" and I was thrilled to find him the main character in this book. Again I really liked the relationship between him and Celia. I also liked that he loved his parents but he was also frustrated with them. But as a mom, I could see both perspectives and I loved that.

I loved the wishes and that unexpected things kept happening. This was a fun, sweet book that I thoroghly enjoyed. I look forward to reading to my boys when they are just a little bit older. (I don't think my 2 year old is quite ready for it yet.) But it is a book that I know they will love, I mean, two words, Talking Dog. You're hooked now aren't you?

No comments: