Friday, May 14, 2010

Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

Title: Out of My Mind
Author: Sharon M. Draper
Reviewer: Stephanie
Genre: YA Fiction
Rating: Love
Alerts/Warnings: none
Premise: Considered by many to be mentally retarded, a brilliant, impatient fifth-grader with cerebral palsy discovers a technological device that will allow her to speak for the first time. (King County Library System)
Opinions: I didn't know what this book was about when I started reading it. I needed something to read and I picked it up. Wow. The beginning page is stellar and immediately hooked me. Melody has cerebral palsy and cannot speak. She can't tell her parents she loves them or what her favorite color is. She can't communicate what she wants for dinner or that she likes sparkly clothes. Everyone assumes she is stupid, but Melody is brilliant. She has a photographic memory and absorbs knowledge like a sponge. Then when she discovers and aquires a device that will allow her to speak for the first time, a whole new world opens up to her. Yet still people make assumptions about her and try to label her.

This is a moving story that will have you thinking about how you treat others and how you value the people around you. It was beautifully and respectfully done. I was very impressed with this FabulousRead, and hope you are too.

No comments: