Saturday, May 1, 2010

Agent in Old Lace by Tristi Pinkston






Title: Agent in Old Lace
Author: Tristi Pinkston
Reviewer: Karen
Genre: LDS Adult Mystery
Rating: Like
Alerts/Warnings: None
Premise: Shannon Tanner s perfect life is turned on end when she discovers her boyfriend, Mark, is not what he seems. Fearing for her safety, she enlists the FBI, who puts its best man on the job Rick Holden, who dons a dress and goes undercover as Shannon s roommate. For a while it seems that life is safe again, until Mark kidnaps Shannon s best friend. Shannon realizes the only way to save her friend and herself is to send Rick, her only protection, away. Agent in Old Lace is a thrilling combination of action, suspense, and romance that will keep you turning the pages until the end. (PG Library System)
Opinions: I actually got introduced to Tristi Pinkston through an on-line chat group long before I learned that she was a published author. So I was excited to take the opportunity to read one of her books. Agent in Old Lace was released last year to the LDS market. As a fan of mystery books, I really loved reading it, though I had some difficulty at first. The difficulty revolves around the fact that the bad guy was supposedly a good upstanding Mormon. In my brain, that didn't jive. But then I realized, the more that I read, that just because you belong to (or say that you belong to) a certain religion does not mean that you live the standards that religion teaches. It is the person, not the religion, who has chosen to take the wrong path. Once I realized that, then I was able to thoroughly enjoy reading this book.

I love Shannon as a character as she does not just sit by and play the victim, but does what she can to help herself out of the situation. I also really love the various law enforcement officers, especially Rick. The relationship that builds over time between him and Shannon is fantastic and they are able to find humor where it is needed while trying to capture the man who has been steadily destroying Shannon and her family. For mystery lovers out there who are tired of overly violent novels. This is a fun, clean read and I highly recommend it.


1 comment:

Tristi Pinkston said...

I'm all excited that you reviewed my book today! Thanks for your thoughts!