Saturday, April 25, 2009

The Amaranth Enchantment by Julie Berry




Title: The Amaranth Enchantment
Author: Julie Berry
Reviewer: Stephanie
Genre: YA Fantasy
Rating: Worship
Alerts/Warnings: None
Premise: Orphaned at age five, Lucinda, now fifteen, stands with courage against the man who took everything from her, aided by a thief, a clever goat, and a mysterious woman called the Witch of Amaranth, while the prince she knew as a child prepares to marry, unaware that he, too, is in danger.(King County Library)

Opinions:This is one of the best books I've read this year! I was hooked from the very first page. The flow of the writing is very smooth and seamless. The characters are well developed and you care about them. Even the characters that you feel certain you will despise the whole time, some of them you grow to love or at least sympathize with. I especially loved Lucinda. I thought she was a wonderfully developed and complex character. Though I have to admit my favorite character in the book was Dog. :)

I was uncertain about this book. I thought it looked interesting when I requested that my library purchase it, but sometimes books look interesting to me when I first see them and then the interest fades. (I have dozens of books on my shelves to prove it.) However, I couldn't put this book down.

I am excited to find a new author to follow. This is Juli Berry's first novel and I hope she writes many, many more! Read it. I'm absolutely sure you will love it!


1 comment:

Olivia said...

So today I just finished "The Amaranth Enchantment" and I was HOOKED on it! I just love the way Julie Berry writes in her novels. I actually read "Secondhand Charm" first and then I read Enchantment. I think over all "Secondhand Charm" was my favorite. It was exciting, surprising, and best of all had romance :) I really hope Julie writes more fantasy novels. I know she wrote other books but they seem like a kid-cartoon type of thing?? Are there any authors that write and have a similar genre like Julies? There is this one author who I adore, her name is Shannon Hale. I absolutely devoured her novel "The Bayern Series". She is my all time favorite author!