Thursday, June 5, 2014

The Haunting of Derek Stone: City of the Dead by Tony Abbott

4495481


Title: City of the Dead (The Haunting of Derek Stone #1)
Author: Tony Abbott
Reviewer: Karen
Genre: Mid-Grade Horror/Paranormal
Rating: Like
Alerts/Warnings: Intense scary moments
Premise: "Derek Stone just turned fourteen. He's lived in New Orleans with his dad and older brother, Ronny, his whole life. He's a little overweight and can't hear well out of his left ear. And he's on the run from the dead" (King County Library System).
Opinions: I was in a weird mood when I went to the library yesterday. In between chasing after my escaping kids I grabbed the first book in YA in the A's and the last one in the Z's. The Haunting of Derek Stone by Tony Abbott was what I got. At first I had difficulty getting used to the narrative voice as its in first person and feels a bit disjointed as the character's thoughts bounce around. But soon I found that I couldn't put the book down and read it straight through in just a few hours.  I was intrigued by the concept, but the train accident was intense and scary though surprisingly clean for what it could have been.


Overall, I was freaked out, spooked out, and crept out, but since its a horror/paranormal book I would say that's great. It might be a bit intense for younger readers so I recommend that parents read it first to make sure it will not give your particular kid nightmares. As for me I went to sleep to a nice happy movie and singing kids' songs in my head.

No comments: