Saturday, February 23, 2013

Midnight in Austenland by Shannon Hale

To read a review of the first book in this series from one of our contributors please click here: Austenland.

Midnight in Austenland (Austenland, #2)


Title: Midnight in Austenland (Austenland #2)
Author: Shannon Hale
Reviewer: Karen
Genre: Adult Fiction/Chick-Lit
Rating: Adore
Alerts/Warnings: Mild language (maybw 2-3 swear words)
Premise: "Divorced American Charlotte Kinder takes a trip to Regency staged Pembrook Park in Kent where she plays parlor games, learns country dances, and even lets herself be courted by her assigned suitor, the brooding, magnetic Mr. Mallery. But her vacation becomes more Northanger Abbey when she catches a fleeting glimpse of a dead body in a secret room" (King County Library).
Opinions: This book is a cross between Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey and a mystery novel by Agatha Christie. I thought it was well written, with a spunky heroine. I ADORED Charlotte and could most definitely relate personality wise. I could easily see myself in such a situation (if I were only a millionaire and could afford such an excursion and didn't already have one hunky fabulous husband who treats me better every day).  While voraciously reading this book I had several laugh out loud moments (and quite a few "You GO GIRL!" moments) where my family looked quizzically at me before shrugging and going back to their previous occupations. Overall, I highly found Midnight in Austenland a fun and energetic read that made me feel giddy and happy and content with the story at its end. And personally, I enjoyed it more than the original, but you will have to read it for yourself to see if you agree.

No comments: