Friday, January 18, 2013

Blackberry Crumble by Josi S. Kilpack

For my reviews of other books in this series please click here: Lemon Tart, English Trifle, Devil's Food Cake, and Key Lime Pie.

Blackberry Crumble

Title: Blackberry Crumble: A Culinary Mystery (Sadie Hoffmiller Series #5)
Author: Josi S. Kilpack
Reviewer: Karen
Genre: Adult Mystery
Rating: Like
Alerts/Warnings: None
Premise: "When Sadie Hoffmiller is hired by May Sanderson to investigate the death of her father, Sadie travels to Oregon and uncovers a complicated plot of greed, shady business dealings, and more than one member of the Sanderson clan with a motive for murder" (King County Library System).
Opinions: I personally had a rough time at the start of reading this book. Sadie runs into difficulty when someone from her past ends up painting her in a bad light, and I love Sadie as if she were part of my family. So I was peeved that someone would treat her in such a manner.  I mean. . .How dare they?  Shamefully, I admit that I returned the book to the library only half read, because I couldn't handle it.  (Blush - Yes I get that involved sometimes).  Being a new year, I decided to return to the story to see if I was ready to learn how it progressed. I am glad that I did.  I still love the characters.  I love this modern day Miss Marple placed in Colorado, but travelling the world helping to solve murders.  The more I read about Sadie's love interest, the more I am so happy he's a part of her stories.  Also, even though a certain individual toward the beginning of the book caused my temporary hiatus from reading this story, I was glad I went back to find out if the traitor was redeemed in Sadie's eyes or if Sadie would find herself traveling a similar path.  I definitely recommend this series for its fun characters, intriguing twists, and fantastic recipes.

No comments: