Saturday, May 23, 2009

Sorcery & Cecelia or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot by Patricia Wrede and Caroline Stevermer

Title: Sorcery & Cecelia or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot
Author: Patricia Wrede and Caroline Stevermer
Reviewer: Stephanie
Genre: YA Fantasy (kind of)
Rating: Love
Alerts/Warnings: None
Premise: In 1817 in England, two young cousins, Cecilia living in the country and Kate in London, write letters to keep each other informed of their exploits, which take a sinister turn when they find themselves confronted by evil wizards.(King County Library System)

Opinions: This book was recommended to me by my sister. She sent me an email telling me she thought I would like it. So I put it on hold and waited for my library to get it in. After a week or so, I went to the library to pick it up and saw the cover. I thought to myself, "Didn't I already read that?" I started reading it and realized that I had tried to read it a couple of years ago, but had had a hard time getting into it, so I stopped reading it. But my sister had said it was good, so I thought I would give it another shot. (She is a pretty good judge of books.) I am so glad that I did!

It is slow to start out with, and I still am confused just how all of the characters are related to each other (other than the fact that they are related somehow). But it's different. The story follows two cousins corresponding with each other over a season while they are apart. As the season unfolds these two cousins help each other and their friends fight against some sinister magicians.

This is an interesting combination of genre's. It's like Jane Austen with magic. The story is interesting and fun, although somewhat predictable. However, I thought the really cool part was how it was written. The two authors decided to write letters to each other from the point of view of a character is a specific setting. They did not discuss the plot as they were writing these letters. The only discussion they had was with the timing in the end.

I liked this book and thought it was fun. Although it isn't the best book I've ever read, I am looking forward to reading the sequel.

No comments: