Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The Secret Hour by Scott Westerfeld







Title: The Secret Hour (Book #1 of the Midnighters Series)
Author: Scott Westerfeld
Reviewer: Karen
Genre: YA Fiction
Rating: Like
Alerts/Warnings: Suspense regarding monsters that only come out at midnight
Premise: "Upon moving to Bixby, Oklahoma, fifteen-year-old Jessica Day learns that she is one of a group of people who have special abilities that help them fight ancient creatures living in an hour hidden at midnight; creatures that seem determined to destroy Jess." (King County Library System)
Opinions: This is an intriguing premise. What would I do with an extra hour to the day that hardly anyone else is aware of? Probably lots of things. Then you throw in the idea of creatures and monsters that only live during that time and consider you as a possible meal. Thanks, but I think I will stick to my normal twenty four hours. Though I really like Jessica, my favorite character happens to be Jonathan, mostly because of his special abilities that come out in the true midnight hour. Scott Westerfeld does a wonderful job creating realistic teenagers and their reactions to situations, but that left me a little worried. I hope that those teenagers who read this book don't get any ideas of things they might try to do without getting in trouble (probably a good thing there isn't really a 25 hour to the day with no supervision). Personally, I think if you liked the Twilight Series you might enjoy this very much (though its not about vampires).






No comments: