Sunday, December 26, 2010

The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan




For reviews of the Percy Jackson series feel free to go back to our posts from May 2009.

Title: The Lost Hero (The Heroes of Olympus Series Book One)
Author: Rick Riordan
Reviewer: Karen
Genre: YA Fantasy
Rating: Fabulous
Alerts/Warnings: Mild Peril
Premise: "Jason, Piper, and Leo, three students from a school for "bad kids," find themselves at Camp Half-Blood, where they learn that they are demigods and begin a quest to free Hera, who has been imprisoned by Mother Earth herself." (PG Library System)
Opinions: Personally, I think this was much better than the Percy Jackson series (though you frequently hear about him in this book). I love that we pick up with the lives of the members of Camp Half Blood several months after the end of the previous series. I loved getting to know three new characters. Mr. Riordan does a brilliant job bringing the characters to life through their written voice. My two all time favorite characters are Coach Hedge and Leo. Mr. Riordan did a brilliant job letting the reader into each point of view character's heads and seeing their individual personalities. He is also brilliant in the way he throws in twists and turns that are unexpected, but made me think "That is freakin' awesome!" when I figured it out. I love seeing the other side of the Gods and finding a world of even greater peril. Mr. Riordan does a brilliant job bringing history and mythology to life in a unique way that attracts kids and adults alike. I cannot wait until next year when book two is released.


No comments: