Sunday, June 13, 2010

The Cardturner by Louis Sachar

Title: The Cardturner
Author: Louis Sachar
Reviewer: Stephanie
Genre: Teen Fiction
Rating: Love
Alerts/Warnings: None
Premise: When his wealthy uncle, a champion bridge player who has lost his vision, asks seventeen-year-old Alton to be a cardturner for him, Alton has no idea how much he will ultimately learn from his eccentric relative. Includes appendix by Syd Fox with information about bridge. (King County Library System)
Opinions: Louis Sachar is a Fabulous author. I have been a fan of his since I was in third grade. So when I saw his latest book, I was so excited. I didn't know anything about it when I started reading it. So as I read I learned about Alton and his uncle, Trapps, and Alton's money obsessed parents and some family friends that are a little "crazy". The characters in this book like Sachars other books are quite unique and fun to read about. They aren't so off that you don't think that they are unrealistic. They are people I can see meeting in real life.

I thought that fact that Alton is his uncles' cardturner was an interesting aspect of the story. Alton doesn't know anything about bridge and as he watches his uncle play he learns about the game and is itching to try it out. I love the straight forward story and the backstory and how they weave together. Plus the ending is completely satisfying. This is a fun book and VERY clean. I really liked it. And now I have an urge to learn how to play bridge.

1 comment:

Susan said...

As an amature bridge player, I was really excited to read this book and I loved it. Thanks for recomending it!