Sunday, June 6, 2010

Ashes by Kathryn Lasky

Title: Ashes
Author: Kathryn Lasky
Reviewer: Stephanie
Genre: Teen Historical Fiction
Rating: Adore
Alerts/Warnings: Some language, Some brief mentions of sex and nudity (not graphic)
Premise: In 1932 Berlin, thirteen-year-old Gaby Schramm witnesses the beginning of Hitler's rise to power, as soldiers become ubiquitous, her beloved literature teacher starts wearing a jewelled swastika pin, and the family's dear friend, Albert Einstein, leaves the country while Gaby's parents secretly bury his books and papers in their small yard.
Opinions: This was a very interesting book. I've read many books that are about Germany in the late 30's early 40's. I have never before read a book that chronicled Hitler's rise to power. Kathryn Lasky obviously did her research. I learned buckets about why Germany wanted Hitler and the fear and distrust that many people had in each other as they lived their lives. Gaby is an interesting character. She has a great love for reading, her family and her friends. She is friends with Jews and scientists. She is also friends with people who become Nazis and she tries to wrap her head around how they could want to follow Hitler. It is a fascinating novel and I enjoyed reading it. There are a few curse words. A brief mention of nudity and sex, though nothing graphic. I really liked this book. I finished it yesterday, and I can't stop thinking about what I would have done in Gaby's situation. This is a fabulously fascinating book that I hope you enjoy.

No comments: