Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Shaffer & Barrows





Title: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
Author: Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
Reviewer: Karen
Genre: Adult Fiction
Rating: Fabulous
Alerts/Warnings: some retelling of violence associated with war
Premise: In 1946, as London emerges from the shadow of World War II, author Juliet Ashton is having a terrible time finding inspiration for her next book. Then she receives a letter from Guernsey Island, and learns of a unique book club formed on the spur of the moment as an alibi to protect its members from arrest by the occupying Germans during the war. Captivated, she sets sail for Guernsey, and what she finds there will change her life forever.
Opinions: I first heard about this book when I attended my local book club shortly after giving birth to my son (for some reason my husband thought I need a break - good husband). I hadn't read the book yet, but just listening to the discussion inspired me to get my hands on it as soon as the library made it available (long wait list - should give a clue of how good this book is). I got this book on Friday, started reading it yesterday, and just finished it now. I could not wait to tell all of you about it (though you might have already heard as it is a New York Times bestseller). Needless to say FABULOUS!!!

Told through letters, this story was written brilliantly and immediately gives you an idea of each character's personality. I found myself falling in love, not only with Juliet, but also with each member of the society just as Juliet did. Most of all I loved learning about Elizabeth, who was an amazing woman that you learn about from the other club members, and wished that I could have been friends with her as well. I also fell in love with the descriptions of Guernsey and its beauty, and how the its people survived the five years that it was occupied by the Germans during World War Two. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is a definite must read.

No comments: