Thursday, July 22, 2010

Enchanted Glass by Diana Wynne Jones

Title: Enchanted Glass
Author: Diana Wynne Jones
Reviewer: Stephanie
Genre: YA Fantasy
Rating: Like
Alerts/Warnings: None
Premise: After his grandfather dies, Andrew Hope inherits a house and surrounding land in an English village, but things become very complicated when young orphan Aidan shows up and suddenly a host of variously magical townsfolk and interlopers start intruding on their lives. (King County Library System)
Opinions: I think my new favorite word is quirky and it definitely applies to this book. Diana Wynne Jones doesn't do anything but quirky in my book. From the housekeeper/cook who makes cauliflower cheese when she is mad at her boss, to the gardner who punishes his boss with giant turnips. Andrew is a young historian who inherits his grandfathers home and field of care without fully understanding all of the responsibilities that go with it. But when a young boy, Aidan, shows up in need of help Andrew puts forth all his powers to keep Aidan safe. I really enjoyed this book for the uniqueness that it was. I did however think the ending was rushed and I felt that Diana Wynne Jones was looking more to setting the book up for a possible sequel than concluding this book. It does end in a way that I would be happy not reading any future books, but I also feel fairly confident she is planning on writing a sequel---which I would read with enthusiasm.

No comments: