Tuesday, March 2, 2010

On Becoming Baby Wise by Gary Ezzo

Title: On Becoming Baby Wise
Author: Gary Ezzo and Robert Bucknam
Reviewer: Karen
Genre: Self Help/Non-Fiction
Rating:Love
Alerts/Warnings: None
Premise: This book focuses on learning how to help your baby sleep through the night.
Opinions: Being a new mom for the second time over I was eager to learn how to avoid the mistakes that I made when it came to getting my daughter to sleep well. My daughter is now approaching two years old and has only started sleeping through the night within the last two months (thanks to a fabulous mother-in-law who trained her while I was on bed rest with my son). A trusted source recommended to me that I try the Baby Wise method as several of her family members (including herself) have followed it and are now rejoicing with children who learn to comfort themselves to sleep.


The main focus of the Baby Wise method is that if you allow your child a semi-structured routine during the day that 96% of the children following this method will be able to sleep through the night by 8-12 weeks old. Now the idea is not to keep the child on a strict schedule, but to make sure that during the day they have a clear start time for morning feeding and then make sure that throughout the day the child has clearly defined periods of sleep time, followed by eating time, followed by awake time. Then the cycle repeats. The parent is responsible for following this general routine, but ensuring that you still focus on the baby's hunger cues. Granted my newborn son is only 5 weeks old and I'm still working on the process, but I'm finding this book really helpful and informative and highly recommend it to anyone with a newborn on the way.





No comments: