Monday, February 17, 2014

Banana Split by Josi S. Kilpack

To read my reviews of the other books in this series, click here: Lemon Tart, English Trifle, Devil's Food Cake, Key Lime Pie, Blackberry Crumble, and Pumpkin Roll.

12497348

Title: Banana Split (Culinary Mystery #7)
Author: Josi S. Kilpack
Reviewer: Karen
Genre: Adult Mystery
Rating: Love
Alerts/Warnings: None
Premise: "Sadie Hoffmiller need some time to rest, and where better than in beautiful Hawaii? But when Sadie finds herself entangled--literally--with a body, she is forced to face the compounding fears that are making her life so difficult to live. Her determination to focus on her healing soon takes a backseat, however, when she meets the son of the woman whose body she discovered and decides to help him" (King County Library System).
Sadie Hoffmiller need some time to rest, and where better than in beautiful Hawaii? But when Sadie finds herself entangled--literally--with a body, she is forced to face the compounding fears that are making her life so difficult to live. Her determination to focus on her healing soon takes a backseat, however, when she meets the son of the woman whose body she discovered and decides to help him. - See more at: http://kcls.bibliocommons.com/item/show/979279082_banana_split#sthash.lcsQas8k.dpuf
Opinions: Banana Split was fascinating to read. Compared to the others in this series, it stood out because Sadie was having to deal with her own personal demons from the previous books as she tried to help Charlie, a Hawaiian boy in the foster care system, find out what happened to his recovering addict mother.  Having personal family members who are dealing with depression and anxiety, I felt a little more connected with Sadie allowing me to understand her feelings a little bit better as she tried to overcome here fears and not letting the anxiety control you.

I also loved the location for the story. Hawaii is always amazing, but I here Kaua'i is outstanding. I loved Josi's interpretation of life there and it reminds me of the time I stayed on the North Shore of O'ahu. I loved being taken back to my time there. The warmheartedness of the people, the beautify of the surroundings, the warm breeze and humid air.  (Okay I'm ready to go back.)  Anyway, the plot was intriguing, the character's growth wonderful, and the recipes delectable.   However, the questions I had at the end of the last book didn't get resolved in Banana Split, so I guess I'll just have to read the next book Tres Leche Cupcakes to find out more  ;-).

No comments: