Thursday, January 31, 2013

Dark Souls by Paula Morris

To read my review of the first book in this series, please click here: Ruined.

Dark Souls

Title: Dark Souls (Ruined #2)
Author: Paula Morris
Reviewer: Karen
Genre: YA Fiction/Ghost Story
Rating: Adore
Alerts/Warnings: Some descriptive images associated with ghosts
Premise: " Sixteen-year-old Miranda Tennant arrives in York, England, with her parents and brother, trying to recover from the terrible accident that killed her best friend, and while in the haunted city she falls in love for the first time as two boys, one also suffering from a great loss and the other a ghost, fight for her attentions" (King County Library System).
Opinions: As a twist, this second book in a series does not contain the same characters as the first.  I was slightly disappointed in this because I so desperately wanted to read more about what happened next after the first book. The surprise is, that even though this book takes place in a different setting, with a whole new set of characters, I loved it even MORE than the first book in the series. I was entranced getting to experience York, England through the eyes of the author, to learn its history, and so much more. I enjoy the various ghosts Miranda meets and the things that she learns about herself along the way as she strives to overcome a devastating past.  Along with her I wondered who was real and who was supernatural. I love the interplay between Miranda and her parents, as well as her brother Rob.  And Nick was an incredibly complex and intriguing character, but you'll have to pick up the book to find out why.  As I said in my previous post, I normally do not read ghost stories, but I must say. . .I am TOTALLY hooked on this series.

No comments: