Friday, May 18, 2012

The Skeleton's Knife by Joni Sensel

Title: The Skeleton's Knife
Author: Joni Sensel
Reviewer: Stephanie
Genre: YA Fantasy
Rating: Worship
Alerts/Warnings: Deals with ghosts and spooks. There is a journey to the land of the dead that is creepy with some otherworldly violence.
Premise: When 14-year-old Ariel Farwalker sets out to return a dead enemy's knife to its source, she lends strength to an evil that seeks her attention. Aided by a new friend with a smuggler's savvy and a talent for charming the wind, Ariel must travel to the land of the dead to save someone she loves and bury both the knife and the past. If she fails, neither she nor her most beloved friends will survive.

Opinions: Now I have to admit I was SUPER excited to read this book.  In preparation for it, I read the first two books again so it would be fresh in my head.  And, honestly, it wasn't the story that I was expecting, but I loved it.  I thought it was a very satisfying ending to a great trilogy.  Ariel and Scarl go on a journey to purge themselves of the violence in their past that haunted them.  Zeke joins them and through this journey they all find  the closure they need.

It has a different feel to it than the first two books.  It's a little darker.  Okay, a lot darker.  But I loved it.  Joni Sensel is an amazing writer and I am excited to see what she writes next.


No comments: