Monday, July 4, 2011

Chasing Vermeer by Blue Balliet





Title: Chasing Vermeer
Author: Blue Balliet
Reviewer: Karen
Genre: Mid-Grade Fiction/Mystery
Rating: Love
Alerts/Warnings: None
Premise: "When strange and seemingly unrelated events start to happen and a precious Vermeer painting disappears, eleven-year-olds Petra and Calder combine their talents to solve an international art scandal."
Opinions: Stephanie recommended years ago that I read this book and I finally did, and once again I do not regret reading anything that Stephanie recommends. This is a fantastic mystery written for pre-teens that even I enjoyed. It was imaginative, intriguing, and was hard to put down from start to finish. I love the eclectic backgrounds that the author uses for each of the characters. I love the code Calder creates using pentominoes and the twists and turns of the plot. I also wish I had had a teacher like Ms. Hussey. This is a fun mystery that I highly recommend that you check out. I think you will thoroughly enjoy it (in fact I insisted that my husband read it before we have to return it to the library).

2 comments:

Easepod said...

Check out Blue Balliett's website at blueballiettbooks.com. Lots of interesting information about the real world places that are the locales for her four books.

Fabulous Reads said...

Thanks for the tip. Most definitely will.