Saturday, April 30, 2011

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett



The following is a review from a guest reviewer:

Title: The Secret Garden
Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Reviewer: Kristen
Genre: Children’s Classic
Rating: Love
Alerts/Warnings: None
Premise: "Ten-year-old Mary Lennox is indeed a miserable child. Upon the death of her parents she finds herself transported to the cold climate of England to live at Misselthwaite Manor on the Yorkshire moors with an ailing cousin she has never met. How she hates this country and everything about it. But with the English sunshine, spring comes into Mary's bitter heart. She finds that she likes Misselthwaite Manor, its inhabitants, its gardens and especially its secrets." (King County Library System)
Opinions: Oh, how I love this book! I watched the movie all the time when I was younger, but didn’t read the book until I was in my twenties. Even though I knew what was going to happen, I was absolutely enthralled by the story and couldn’t put the book down. Dickon was always my favorite character and I found I loved him even more in the book. Definitely a classic.

No comments: